This is a maintenance technician position responsible for equipment and building maintenance and repair. This nonexempt (hourly) position typically reports directly to the Operations Manager and has no supervisory responsibilities. The position requires working in accordance with Triple-S Steel job requirements and Safe Methods of Work. Overtime hours may be required to meet our customers’ needs.
This Position Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. However, you must be able to satisfactorily perform each Essential Job Function listed below. The Essential Skills and Knowledge and Job Functions listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Read work orders and specifications (including diagrams and prints) to diagnose and determine maintenance and repair requirements for machines and equipment, including but not limited to, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and mechanical systems.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds to heights up to 5 feet. Carry such equipment for 20 feet. Climb ladders and work from ladders up to 40 feet while wearing any fall protection gear required. Crawl into tight or confined spaces. Pull/push up to 75 pounds; exert 25 – 50 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 – 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Reach, squat, kneel, climb and crawl while maneuvering tools and equipment.
- Dismantle machines and remove parts for repair, using hand tools, chain falls, jacks, cranes, or hoists and reassemble machines after the completion of repair or maintenance work in a timely manner. Start machines and observe mechanical operation to determine efficiency and to detect problems.
- Inspect or test damaged machine parts, and mark defective areas or advise supervisors of repair needs.
- Lubricate machines, machine parts, or other equipment, according to specified procedures.
- Install, replace, or change machine parts and attachments, according to production specifications.
- Record repair and machine maintenance information.
- Collaborate with other workers to repair or move machines, machine parts, or equipment.
- Source parts and services with outside vendors as needed.
- Maintain facilities, including warehouses, production areas and offices.
- Maintain and safely operate all assigned tools and equipment, including personal protective equipment.
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects and people.
- Work indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions including rain, cold/heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. The Maintenance Technician will be regularly exposed to the typical weather of the local area.
- Be aware of general OSHA requirements.
- Able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
Experience and Abilities:
- Ability to correctly read and interpret work orders, write and orally communicate in English to determine work assignments or material or equipment needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of maintenance and repair requirements for job-specific electrical systems, control systems, switches, AC drive controls, DC drive controls, electrical motor controls and/or PLC control systems as required.
- Ability to properly use hand tools.
- Demonstrate basic welding skills.
- Ability to safely meet or exceed minimum productivity levels established by the Company.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize work activities independent of direct supervision; work alone and in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain ongoing inter-department communications related to routing, safety, and customer relations.
- Demonstrate intermediate math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) (preferred)
- Valid driver license
- At least five (5) years in a position demonstrating strong mechanical and industrial skills (preferred)
- Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands/fingers to handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock when in the operations or laboratory areas. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but due to open office environment noise level may occasionally be high.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Pay Rate :$19.00-$23.00